Writing Poetry with Children
Explore the world of poetry with your students! Step-by-step directions lead students through writing couplets, cinquains, haikus, and limericks. Resources include: writing forms, step-by-step directions, a trait-based writing guide, and more!
Explore the inspirational and imaginative world of poetry with your students! Writing Poetry with Children provides structured practice writing six types of poetry using engaging learning experiences that support students' creative side. How-to charts help guide students through the step-by-step process of writing each type of poem. Then students bring their work to life by choosing from 30 reproducible illustrated writing forms. And since each lesson is presented at three difficulty levels, it's easy to support all your students.
You'll love Writing Poetry with Children because it:
- supports 6-Trait writing. Activities build skills in each trait—ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions. And a trait-based writing guide at the beginning of the book makes it easy to see exactly which skills are being developed.
- makes teaching poetry easy. Teacher pages explain each form of poetry and give ideas for conducting lessons. Teaching more difficult type of poetry isn't as daunting with guided instruction and step-by-step student writing forms.
- aids differentiated instruction. Lessons come in three difficulty levels so you can tailor instruction to your students' needs.
- includes resources and directions for creating a poetry center. Reinforce the writing skills introduced with engaging practice in a fun center format.
- inspires reluctant writers. Easy-to-follow directions and writing forms make writing poetry easy and approachable.
- is correlated to state standards.
Students practice writing the following types of poetry:
- Triplets and Quatrains
- Word-Count and Syllable-Count Cinquains
- Simplified and Traditional Haiku
- Shape Poems
- Acrostic Poems
Give your students the practice they need to become strong writers!