Life of Fred Apples
This is the first book in the Life of Fred Series. There are 10 books in the Elementary Series are for grades 1 through 4.
So, you think math is boring and there is nothing much anyone can do to make it "un-boring"?
You think the average person can't really ever understand math, and "Who needs it?" if you have a calculator in hand!
Never again hear the question which many math students have: "When are we ever gonna use this stuff?" or "Math is boring!"
No other textbooks are like these. Each text is written in the style of a novel with a humorous story line. Each section tells part of the life of Fred Gauss and how, in the course of his life, he encounters the need for the math and then learns the methods. Tons of solved examples. Each hardcover textbook contains ALL of the material – more than most instructors cover in traditional classroom settings. Includes tons of proofs.
Written by Dr. Stanley Schmidt with the intent to make math come alive with lots of humour, clear explanations, and silly illustrations that stick in the mind. The student will learn to think mathematically.
This book 1 Apples covers beginning mathematics including . . .
Numbers that Add to 7
Reading 6:00 on a Clock
5 + ? = 7
Days of the Week
15 Degrees Below Zero (–15º)
Counting by Fives
3x + 4x = 7x
ante meridiem (a.m.)
The "There Are Zero . . ." Game
the Popularity of Zero
? (not equal)
x + 4 = 7
Counting by Hundreds
Reading 3:05 on a Clock
and much more . . .
Unlike all other math programs, this one also teaches about:
• Dressing for Cold Weather
• Deciduous Trees and Deciduous Teeth
• Archimedes 287 B.C. Wrote The Sand Reckoner and Got Killed Being Rude
• Donner and Blitz in German
• Euclid Wrote The Elements
• Pacific and Atlantic Oceans
• Whales Are Not Fish
• Why Boats Are Cheaper to Rent in the Winter
• Herbivores and Carnivores
• the Colors of the Rainbow
• a King in Checkmate
• the Story of the Titanic
The answers are included in the textbook. Complete this book and you are ready for Life of Fred Butterflies.
The author, Dr. Schmidt recommends that all students up to 4th grade start with Apples and work their way through the entire elementary series.
* There are ten books in Elementary Series:
* Life of Fred: Apples
* Life of Fred: Butterflies
* Life of Fred: Cats
* Life of Fred: Dogs
* Life of Fred: Edgewood
* Life of Fred: Farming
* Life of Fred: Goldfish
* Life of Fred: Honey
* Life of Fred: Ice Cream
* Life of Fred: Jelly Beans
You are ready to start Life of Fred Elementary when...
1. You can talk in sentences.
2. You are willing to listen to a 5 page story.
3. You can hold a pencil.
4. You can print the digits 0 to 10
5. You know your basic addition and subtraction facts up to 10
Our biggest, and only problem with the Life of Fred series is that the kids keep reading ahead!
Life of Fred Apples Sample Text