If you missed the deadline for Live Painted Lady Butterfly orders in 2019, we look forward to serving you in Spring, 2020! Watch for your email from CHER with all the details. Not on our email list? Sign up
for important updates and product information.
We will also post on the CHER website, Facebook, and Instagram.The Live Painted Lady Butterfly Lifecycle Kit
is the perfect kit for large families, small groups or co-ops to raise butterflies from larvae to butterfly. The Life Cycle Kit includes 10-15 larvae.
Did you know Painted Lady Butterflies are found on every continent except Antarctica and are virtually as widespread as the Cabbage White - and all of this without human assistance? They are common throughout Canada. The upper surface is orange, black and white, with a wingspan of 50 - 60 mm.
Have you ever wondered at the beauty and majesty of a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis? Now you can watch the cycle in your own home. Each Rearing Kit comes with clear instructions, feeding information, artificial diet, larvae in a caterpillar cup and individual rearing vials to transfer them into. . These kits are a wonderful spring project. Please read carefully as some details have changed from last year.
See the information below to order your Live Painted Lady Butterfly Kit for spring 2019!
The Butterfly Lifecycle Kit includes:
- 10-15 larvae in a Caterpillar Cup
- Individual rearing vials
- Paint brushes
- Feeding vial
Larvae do not come with a flight cage to house adult butterflies. You will need a larger container for your chrysalis to emerge.
The whole project takes about a month :
Plant a Butterfly Garden!
- 1 - 3 weeks as a caterpillar
- About one week as a chrysalis
- Then your butterfly emerges.
- Release your butterflies in 5-7 days.
Plant a corner of your garden or flowerbed with butterfly friendly plants and include host plants for all life stages. Don't be discouraged if you don't have much space, butterflies appreciate hanging plants and container gardens too.
Here is a list of some of the plants you may want to add to your garden to be "butterfly friendly".
"We recieved our butterfly larvae yesterday.The kids are so excited!" MB AB
- Herbs: Sage, Hyssop, Thyme, Dill, Parsley, Chives, Mint
- Flowers: Asters, Cosmos, Pansies, Marigolds, Violets, Lilac, Hollyhocks, Lupines, Coneflower, Faillardia, Phlox, Primrose, Sedum, Yarrow, Calendula, Dahlia
- Wildflowers: Queen Anne's Lace, Goldenrod, Red or White Clover, Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Dandelion, Asters, Bearberry (Kinnikinik), Gooseberry
- Vegetables (Left to Flower): Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Cabbage.
Please note: We can only ship Painted Lady Butterflies within Canada. This is a Special Order item. It is non-cancel and non-returnable. Any promotions offered by CHER are not applicable to this Special Order item.