The Live Painted Lady Butterfly Classroom Kit
is the perfect kit for large groups or classrooms to raise butterflies from larvae to butterfly. The Classroom Kit includes 25-30 larvae.
Did you know Painted Lady Butterflies are found on every continent except Antarctica and are virtually as widespread as the Cabbage White - and all of this without human assistance? They are common throughout Canada. The upper surface is orange, black and white, with a wingspan of 50 - 60 mm.
Have you ever wondered at the beauty and majesty of a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis? Now you can watch the cycle in your own home or classroom. Each Classroom Kit comes with clear instructions, feeding information, artificial diet, larvae in a caterpillar cup and individual rearing vials to transfer them into. These kits are a wonderful spring project. Please read carefully as some details have changed from last year.
See the information below to order your Live Painted Lady Butterfly Kit for spring 2019!
The Butterfly Classroom Kit includes:
- 25 - 30 larvae in a Caterpillar Cup
- Individual rearing vials
- Paint brushes
- Feeding vial
Larvae do not come with a flight cage to house adult butterflies. You will need a larger container for your chrysalis to emerge.
The whole project takes about a month :
Butterfly Orders to be Shipped Out or Picked Up in Calgary:
- 1 - 3 weeks as a caterpillar
- About one week as a chrysalis
- Then your butterfly emerges.
- Release your butterflies in 5-7 days.
Plant a Butterfly Garden!
- First batch orders: Your Pre-Paid Larvae Kit will be shipped or ready for pick up the week of May 6th, 2019.
- Orders must be placed & prepaid by Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 and are subject to different shipping charges so we can get these live little critters to you faster. (Shipping in Alberta : $25. Shipping to Saskatchewan or BC: $30. Shipping to Manitoba and Ontario: $35. Other locations and remote addresses will be confirmed prior to payment.)
- Please place your butterfly order separately from your product order, as they can not be shipped together.
- You will receive an email with a tracking number when your larvae ship. It is recommended that you track your order so you can be home when they arrive.
- Pick up orders will receive an email with dates and times to pick up in Calgary (no additional handling fees for pick up orders).
Plant a corner of your garden or flowerbed with butterfly friendly plants and include host plants for all life stages. Don't be discouraged if you don't have much space, butterflies appreciate hanging plants and container gardens too.
Here is a list of some of the plants you may want to add to your garden to be "butterfly friendly".
"We recieved our butterfly larvae yesterday.The kids are so excited!" MB AB
- Herbs: Sage, Hyssop, Thyme, Dill, Parsley, Chives, Mint
- Flowers: Asters, Cosmos, Pansies, Marigolds, Violets, Lilac, Hollyhocks, Lupines, Coneflower, Faillardia, Phlox, Primrose, Sedum, Yarrow, Calendula, Dahlia
- Wildflowers: Queen Anne's Lace, Goldenrod, Red or White Clover, Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Dandelion, Asters, Bearberry (Kinnikinik), Gooseberry
- Vegetables (Left to Flower): Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Cabbage.
Please note: We can only ship Painted Lady Butterflies within Canada. This is a Special Order item. It is non-cancel and non-returnable. Any promotions offered by CHER are not applicable to this Special Order item.